9.24.2015

Recipe Segment: Quick Mexican Casserole

If you are anything like me you're  always scrolling Pinterest at the end of the day while laying in bed, during down times at work & especially when a great idea pops into your head and you turn to Pinterest for a genius way to make it happen!! 

I always use it to help me plan my weekly meals and make out my grocery list. 

I like to find ideas and build on them to make them work for my family. 

The hubby and I have been on a Mexican kick. For a while there, I was making this dish we called "Molly's mex mix" that was basically like an at home chipotle bowl, but a girl can only have the same thing so many times before she gets bored. 

So here is a great Mexican casserole recipe using all our favorites. I encourage you to take it, tweak it & make it work for your or your family! 

The original recipe I found was a vegan recipe. I am in no way shape or form a vegan. Nothing against them, but I like my meat!

This is a very hearty meal that you really can't tell the meat is missing, however next time I plan on adding chicken to mine! 

  


This dish made up a lot and we ate on it all week! I would say about 8-10 servings. 

Ingredients:
(Let me clarify-I don't measure anything I cook, only when I bake lol. I'll do my best with the portions here.) 

2 cans of whole kernel corn
2 cans of black beans 
2 small cans of green chilies
2 cans of Refried beans
1 onion 
2 gloves of garlic
3 peppers (green & red, I added orange)
bag of shredded Mexican blend cheese
1 1/2 tsb of cumin 
2 tsb of chili powder 
1 tsp of black pepper 
Salt to taste 
Whole wheat tortilla's 
Chopped cilantro 
Olive oil 
Sour cream (optional)

Step 1: 
Pre heat oven to 350 , mean while...
Toss the corn, beans, chilies, peppers, onion, & garlic in a skillet coated in olive oil until it's all heated up. 

Step 2: 
Add in the chilli powder, cumin, cilantro, salt & pepper until blended. 

Step 4:
I used a 13x9 casserole dish to bake it in.
So for this part I used 4 whole tortillas to lay on the bottom of the dish. Then spread a thick layer of the Refried beans on top of the tortillas. 


Step 5: 

Pour the skillet mixture over the bottom layer in the baking dish , layer the shredded cheese on top & bake for 40 mins at 350. 



Once finished top with fresh cilantro & optional sour cream ! 


It was as good as it looks! 

Later in the week to spice it up, I even added lettuce and smashed up tortilla chips to make it into a taco salad. 

Like I mentioned, I will probably add chicken the next time & I like my Mexican spicy, so I may add more chilli powder! So be sure to take this recipe & tweak it so it fits your desires.  

Enjoy & dig in! 

No comments :

Post a Comment