4.11.2014

Tease FREE Volume

Volume!
What all women want!
Especially if you are like me & have thin, fine, barley-there hair!

There are TONS of ways to create volume in your hair without having to tease it. 
Teasing over time can be rough on your hair, and at times a bit challenging to even do. 

In this blog I am going to cover a few things:
1. How to curl your hair to achieve a beachy, wavy, lived-in look!
2. Tips & daily tricks to create volume without creating a rats nest!
3. Products that are going to assist you in getting the volume you want!



Beachy Wave Tutorial:
This is my attempt at my first VLOG!
Hope Ya'll Enjoy!








Curling your hair is an easy way to add volume!

No Teasing Tips:


1. The base for good volume all begins with the blow dry! When drying the hair you want to make sure
that the root is lifted away from the scalp. This can be achieved by turning your head upside down and pulling the hair at the root away from the scalp with your fingers. However, my favorite way to get the height I'm looking for in my blow dry is to over-direct the hair. 

For Example:




(Yes my hair is already dry, but work with me here)
In the photo I have taken the hair from my left side and over-directed it on top to the right. 
I would then focus the heat from my dryer at the root. Once you comb it back down to where it 
naturally falls you will see the lift at the scalp creating volume!

2. curling or flat ironing can also  help you create volume. 
Going back to my cosmetology days there is a technique called "on-base" & "off-base" curl. 
"on-base" is when you use the iron and start at the scalp pulling the hair straight up before you go into making a curl or straightening your ends. The heat activation at the scalp pulls the hair of it more and allows it to stand up giving you more volume. 

"Off-Base"  is when you start further away from the scalp allowing the hair to lay sleek against your head and then create a curl or whatever style it is your trying to achieve. Below are pictures of what on-base & off-Base curls look like. You can also create this look with a flat iron when your are straightening your hair, depending on how close to the scalp you apply the heat.

This is an On-Base Curl

This is an Off-Base Curl.


3. One of my favorite ways to create a faux tease iS to use two simple things! 
-My fingers
-Hairspray!
If you dig your fingertips into your scalp and rock them out in a wave motion, holding the hair high above your fingertips, you can use your other hand to spray that hair in place. The key is it allow it to set, so keep your fingers there for 30 seconds until the hairspray drys, then release! Voila- volume!



Product Must Haves:

My top 3 volumizing products are must haves when wanting to create volume. Especially for those of you with thin, poker-straight hair like mine. Volume is something you have to create daily. 
It is NOT going to be given to you by a certain haircut. Yes adding layers HELPS, but it does not Fix the issue over night. 

1. Starting when the hair is wet is KEY to creating long lasting volume. It establishes that base for the volume to sit on all day. I recommend a root lifter or moose before you dry your hair. Root lifter will help you when blow drying, how I directed you above to get the most volume quickly. Moose will help it to last all day. 



My favorite Root Lifter is: The Root Lifter from the minardi Line. You just spray it onto the root and massage it in before blow drying & it will help perk it up!



My favorite Moose is: The abundance foam from the minardi line. It is so light weight you can't even feel it in your hair, however it does the job & it does it well! These two products make the perfect duo!



2. This product is Magic! If you don't have it, by the end of this blog you are going to be running to my salon to buy some! Which ps- it's ONLY $24! It lasts forever & you will want it asap!
It is called "dust-It"  and it is made by Schwarzkopf. It's called Dust it because that is literally what you do! Below is my tutorial on how to use it!




Separate the hair into sections.




dust it on at the root. It comes out looking like baby powder. Don't be alarmed it will not dry white. 




Massage into the scalp & your done!



it will give you 24 hour volume and the illusion that you have teased your hair. 
My favorite thing about this product is that as they day goes by, you can just massage it back into your scalp & it will lift right back up! It will also act as a dry shampoo and allow you to go a couple more days without shampoo!




3. HAIRSPRAY! Makes a world of difference. Every time you ask Me, I am going to tell you that my favorite is Kenra 25 Volume Spray! However I was recently introduced to the Moroccan Oil Luminous Hair Spray. It is super light, not sticky and crunchy. & The best part- it smells amazing just like the rest of their products!


Volume Don'ts!

- No Gel! I don't care if it has the word volume in it! Gel is heavy. When creating volume you want to use lighter based products so that the hair is able to lift. That's the whole point isn't it?

-Don't be shy. There is no such thing a too much volume. I know when it comes to my thin, fine hair the more the better! it WILL fall as the day goes on, so the higher I make it to start with, the better and longer it will last through-out the day. But I may have to spruce it up if I'm going out after work that night.

-No but cracks! I know some of your know what I am talking about! Teased or not, check the back of your head before you walk out of the house! Its not cute when your hair splits at the crown creating a "butt-crack" effect. & The person behind you in line at the grocery store doesn't want to stare at a rats nest. So just because it looks cute from the front, doesn't mean it does from behind!


xoxo-
Molly.

No comments :

Post a Comment