4.20.2015

DIY Photo Canvas



I love all things DIY!

I also have an obsession with photos!

This week I got to combine the two for a project I wanted to make for a friends birthday gift! 

I love getting creative when it comes to gifts, and giving things that can't be bought! 

So this past weekend as I celebrated a dear friend and co-workers birthday I took her love for her dog & turned it into the perfect present for her! 


I have seen and even pinned countless things I have found on Pinterest about making your own photo canvas. However I never took the time to read any. 

I figured most required the picture and some mod podge so I dove in thinking "how hard could it be?"

I found these mini canvas's in a pack that came with 2 bigger ones at hobby lobby for $11.99 

I did some creeping on her Facebook to find the perfect photos so I wouldn't give it away by having to ask her for some! (Thank God for social media hehe)

I just printed them out on computer paper, cut them to the size of the canvas 

They were basically 8x10. They took up majority of the printer paper. 


I applied modpodge onto the canvas with a little brush 


And then laid the photo overtop while it was still wet! 



I then applied another layer of modpodge over the entire photo & over the sides to lock the photo onto the canvas. 


As you can see it made the photo have some texture and wavy lines to it, and I loved that! I wanted them to look and feel a little retro. 

I let them dry over night & viola !
Birthday gift complete ! 

I will say if I could go back & tweak some things.. I would cut the photos a little larger than the canvas size itself so that the edges could fold over the sides to complete the look a little more & get it to stick better! 

But I was completely happy with the outcome, and so was she! She loved the gift! And I mean come on, isn't she adorable? Here is the last photo I used for the third and final canvas. 


I thought the three of these pictures would make the cutest little collage all paired together on a wall somewhere in her home !! 

Happy crafting!
Xoxo,
Molly. 

No comments :

Post a Comment